By becoming a member of the Wild Killer Whale Adoption Program you will be directly supporting research on wild killer whales. Continuing research will lead to a better understanding of the whales, their place in the ocean ecosystem, and the conservation measures necessary to protect them.


August 16, 2013

DFO Cetacean Program researchers Dr. John Ford and Graeme Ellis first spotted the whale on July 23 while passing through the area after a whale survey; they had pulled into the bay to anchor for the night. The whale did not approach their boat and remained in the small, natural bay which had a shallow entrance. They heard it plaintively calling through the night and asked Vancouver Aquarium’s research scientist, Dr. Lance Barrett-Lennard, to check on it during his next research trip to the area. The Vancouver Aquarium Marine Mammal Research Program monitors populations of killer whales and other species on the central coast of B.C. each summer in a collaborative program with DFO.

On July 31, Dr. Barrett-Lennard visited Weeteam Bay and noted that Sam was still present. He appeared to be in good condition, but was still calling loudly and repeatedly and seemed unwilling to pass through the bay's shallow entrance. Dr. Barrett-Lennard monitored the whale every day for the next five days, noting little change in its behaviour. Sam appeared to chase salmon on several occasions, but was not seen to eat any, and also chased, and occasionally caught, seabirds. Transient killer whales do not normally eat fish as they prefer seals, sea lions, porpoises and other marine mammals. Over the course of the week, Dr. Barrett-Lennard made several attempts to entice the whale to leave the harbour by playing transient whale calls with an underwater speaker. Sam was clearly interested in the calls but appeared to be afraid to pass through the harbour entrance.

On August 10, Dr. Barrett-Lennard returned to the bay and noted that Sam’s condition had deteriorated. He had a slight depression behind the blowhole, which is often an indicator of poor nutrition and weight loss.

On August 14, Dr. Barrett-Lennard and Dr. Ford returned to Weeteam Bay to find Sam still present. On August 15, Vancouver Aquarium and DFO research teams used a dual approach to rescue Sam and help him make his exit. They slowly towed a floating line across the harbour towards the entrance while simultaneously playing transient killer whale calls outside the harbour. The operation was carried out just before high tide and was successful on the first attempt. Sam “shot” through the entrance “like a cork” and porpoised next to the Aquarium's research boat, Skana, before continuing on his way. He proceeded to accompany Skana to the mouth of Weeteam Bay.  Over the next few days, Dr. Barrett-Lennard will remain in the area to watch over Sam in hopes that he is reunited with his family. He was last seen heading to sea, continuing to call for his family.

Sam (T046C2) was born in 2009 and is a member of a transient killer whale family that is seen relatively infrequently—their last sighting was two years ago. The identification of Sam was based on his uniquely-shaped white eye patches, shape of his dorsal fin and scratches and scars on his white saddle patch.

News links
Vancouver Sun
Maclean's Magazine